ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


Last night I was reflecting if I ever had ever experienced bias, prejudice and or oppression in my life when I came here in America. I also talked to other people about this issue. I was surprised to hear that majority of the people from my culture mentioned that they actually experienced bias, prejudice and or oppression from people of the same culture as ours. My brother-in-law shared his experienced saying that when he is at work, he always request to be moved or moved the other person to another work station because they are the ones who makes him feel uncomfortable. He said he experienced being insulted and being judged by the way he look and the way he speaks the English language. They correct him all the time when he makes mistake in grammar and his accent. Unlike with Americans, they appreciate his work and give positive remark which makes him feel good about himself. 

This incident diminished equity because my brother-in-law is being excluded because he cannot speak the language well. He would rather avoid the situation than face it because he thinks that other people do not make a big deal out of it, although for him, it is insulting and embarrassing. He ends up excluding himself from others and vice versa.
   
It is saddening to hear that the people whom you expect to support and help you are the same people who put you down. Microaggression happens every day. In my brother-in-law case, it is not the dominant culture or other culture is causing it but the same group of people where he belongs. Since we grew up being submissive and resilient, sometimes we tend to just walk away or not mind at all.
I think the only way to stop people from oppressing other people is to start believing in ourselves, speak up and stand up for our rights. We need to let other people know us and understand who we are as a person of different culture, color, race and religion but just a person ourselves. For our part, we need to understand them too, find a common ground and accept each other for who they are only then can we achieve greater equity.  
  

2 comments:

  1. Anabel,

    I empathize for your brother-in-law as light skin light eyed African American I face prejudice from my race as well. I am sure it is frustrating to constantly be corrected and made to feel less than when compared to others. As a mother raising an African American male child (my son is 13), many people tell me and him that he "sounds white" and that bothers me because he is simply speaking correct/proper English which has no color. So I understand from the other end of the spectrum how it feels to constantly be judged by the way one speaks.

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,

    I think it is even worse when the prejudice comes from your own race because, like you stated, you expect more support from someone who comes from the same ethnicity as you. I wonder if those particular people are trying to fit into the dominant culture, although judging off what you said, it seems as if they are not even doing that.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete