ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, June 23, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals


I just hope that families will continue to carry on the tradition, belief, culture and heritage to their children without having to worry about being discriminated or marginalized. Our families and children tend to lose or discontinue their culture because of the hidden biases, stereotyping and ethnocentrism of other culture.  Children deserve to grow up anchored in their family and heritage; I hope that I can help children strengthen their roots by knowing who they are, where they come from and what it means to be a person of their culture.

The one goal I would like set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice is to empower families and children to stand up for their rights and be heard. Be proud of their culture and at the same time embrace other cultures and find a common ground in creating an anti-bias environment where everyone is given an opportunity to be their own selves.

Just like our own heritage, traditions and beliefs were passed from generation to generation, as an early childhood educator; we should continue to set good examples to our children. We should treat them as individuals, let them express who they are, involve them in the process knowing their own identities and embrace them regardless of their race, color, gender and ethnicity.

I would like to thank all of you for joining me in this journey and I am wishing everyone’s success in your endeavor. May we all continue to collaborate and inspire each other to work for diversity, equity and social justice for the field of early childhood education.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anabel, I know how important it is to not be stripped from your identity, tradition and culture. It is important that we learn as educators to respect each other for who we are. It is also important to understand the importance of how harmful being discrimated and sterotyped can be for children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,

    It was great working with you this semester. You are right, children need to express themselves, and this includes expressing their traditions and heritage. Good luck with your future classes!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete