ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, June 30, 2012

Competent Communicators


Competent Communicators
For your blog this week, think of someone (e.g., family member, celebrity, politician, friend, or professor) who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context. What behaviors does this person exhibit that make him or her effective? Would you want to model some of your own communication behaviors after this person? Why or why not?
I have chosen Dr. Maya Angelou as the person who demonstrates competent communication because she enhances human worth and respects people no matter what or who you are. Dr. Angelou speaks from her heart and the wisdom she spreads comes from her experience and lessons learned from her parents and people around her.
 She is one of the most influential voices of our time. She is a celebrated poet, memoirist, novelist, educator, dramatist, producer, actress, historian, filmmaker, and civil rights activist.  
I would like to share a video about her poem ‘The Mask’ which shows how competent she is in capturing her audience.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9y9HFHpU0&feature=related.  She can send her message to people who oppressed other people in a positive way and earn their respect as well
I would like to model some of my own communication behaviors after Dr. Angelou because I would like speak from my heart and share the wisdom I have in sending the message that we are just equal. Nobody is better than nobody and we should respect each other’s differences and work towards a common goal.  Dr. Maya Angelou continues to stir our heart and souls, energizes our bodies and liberates our minds.  

Reference:

1 comment:

  1. Anabel, I would have to agree with you. You made an exvcellent choice at choosing someone who is an effective communicator. Dr. Angelou has a way with words non like any other that I have heard. Even her voice rings our and grabs the attention of her listners. I love to hear her speak and absorb the wise words that she speaks. Great Job Anabel!!

    ReplyDelete