ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, May 26, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


The issues of performance because of old age or the inexperience because of young age are few of the main sources of microaggression in my workplace. Learning about microaggression this week has changed the way I think and the way I deal with people. I never thought that some remarks or comment I made every day may be offensive and hurtful to others even if it is not intentional. Knowing now the importance of one’s ability to stop it will change the way people treat each other at my workplace.  . Becoming aware of microaggression has changed me: I need to speak up and be heard, because silence will not reduce or eliminate microaggression in the future.  I will keep it my mind to never tolerate it by ignoring it.
Having to experience the humiliation when I was a child, being labeled as not as good as my siblings and being punished at school because I could not answer one question my teacher asked me to answer has affected my self-esteem and lost my self-confidence. I felt like I was there but I am invisible. Just Imagine going to school every day as a child being fearful of the environment which your parent thought should be a place which will provide safety and security to their child or children.
 I would say, I am very fortunate to have a family to go home and validates my importance in their lives. Though I felt invisible at school, I am so happy that I have a family who makes me forget about school and has supported me in everything I do. Learning from what I had gone through when I was little and how my parents and siblings had made me feel good about myself, I promised myself that I will be an advocate to those people who are experiencing discrimination, prejudice and stereotyping and be an enforcer in stopping those hate comments and unfair treatment.  
When I hear people make comments at my work place regarding teachers who are being discriminated because of their age ( too young or too old),the way they look and the way they are, I make it a point to tell the oppressors to stop It and make it known that nobody is better than anybody. I make sure that I set a good example and believe in them (Oppressors and oppressed) knowing they can do better and find a common ground for both of them to work together.  It does not mean they have to like each other but at least work together. I just continue to challenge them to do their job better and have fun at work.
 The effects of discrimination, prejudice and stereotypes on people could be damaging and could affect their self-confidence, ability and their aspirations. These stigmas have the potential to rob them their individuality and debilitate their attempts to break out of stereotypical roles (http://.tolerance.org/activity/test-yourself-hidden-bias).

3 comments:

  1. Anabel,

    You brought up a good point regarding age discrimination. I have noticed that many "seasoned" teachers tend to look down upon new teachers almost as if they have to prove themselves. I just turned 38 this week and many of my co-workers said "Ms. Harris, we didn't know you were that old". And shortly after, I began to see a shift in the way they interacted with me. I even have parents who initially talked to me one way, but the fact that I carry myself as the mature woman that I am, I gained respect from both the families of the students and my colleagues that I work with.

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,

    Age discrimination is a hard thing to overcome. Older people tend to look at younger ones as not knowing anything, and the younger generation looks at the older one as not knowing about the newer ways of the world, I guess is one way to put it. Instead, we should be gaining knowledge from both generations. It is a shame about your school and the environment you were one, which should have been an open and safe environment where you had fun learning.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel,

    Age discrimination is prevalent in our society. However, it derives from both the young and old. Some older citizens view younger people as being trouble makers, thugs, and ignorant. Some younger citizens view older people as being slow, unable to work or comprehend, or even unable to take care of themselves. In the work force, both young and old citizens are discriminated against depending upon the job and the requirements. Regardless of age, one should be judged based upon who they are as an individual, not a characteristic.

    ReplyDelete