ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, July 21, 2012

Who am I as a Communicator?


Our lesson this week has been very interesting. It has shown us that we need to have both verbal and non-verbal communication in order to know the person better. It is not enough that we see a person but to interact and communicate is the key to having good relationship with one another. I have learned to know how others see me and how I see myself as a communicator. 

It was a good experience learning that people see me as never engaging in verbal aggressiveness and respectful to the viewpoints and intelligence of other people. I have assessed myself as moderate in verbal aggressiveness scale maintaining the balance between respecting and considering other people's point of view and attacking the problem itself rather than the person. With regards to my listening styles, the people who evaluated me as well as myself , see me as belonging  to group 1 which is people-oriented. I am really pleased , how people see me and how I see myself were similar and the result of the test were very close. The communication anxiety inventory result were also between low to moderate. Other people see me as being comfortable communicating in most situations and seems not to bother me at all. I also rated myself as mild. I sometimes see myself as uneasy but at the same time confident in communicating with others.

I only chose two people to assessed me and I know that the results will definitely change depending on who, what, how and when the communication between us take place. This week topic has taught me the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication between people. I also learned that our self-concept strongly influences how and when we communicate with others, the reverse is also true, when we interact with other people we get the impressions from them that reveal how they evaluate us as a person and as communicator (O'Hair & Weimann, 2009).

Reference:

O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s.

4 comments:

  1. Anabel, I would have to agree with you that this was a great expeience to see how we view ourselves as a communicator and how others view us as communicators. I really enjoyed this assinment because it open my eyes to some verbal communication issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel, you be surprise as to what other's think of you as a communicator as to how you see yourself. I think this weeks assignment had us all to think deeper about our communication styles with others. I learned a lot in terms of my way of communicating may not be what others see. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel,

    It is great when others view us as we view ourselves. Sometimes our perception can be somewhat distorted because we honestly see and believe what we want to believe about ourselves. These quizzes will be great to use with those who work within the "human services" field and education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabel,

    I too was happy when the individuals that I chose to evaluate me saw me just as I see myself, especially in as it relates to my communication skills. I also was rated as moderate in all three of the categories. It really was an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete