ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Thursday, July 26, 2012


I am very fortunate to have my mother-in-law with us this summer because we get to eat her home cooked meals especially her egg rolls and noodles. She loves to cook and watch shows such as Jeopardy and detective shows. She spends most of her time in the kitchen preparing and cooking our favorite food. I also got the chance to asked her questions on how to cook my husband's favorite food. I also helped her cut vegetables, meat, and prepare other ingredients needed for her cooking. 

The other day, my mother-in-law took out some ingredients and I asked her if she needs assistance. I asked and listened to her instructions on how to prepare everything when I finished she checked it and proceed to her cooking. She saw  that I peeled and prepared a lot of shrimps. She told me it is too much and I asked her if I can keep some in the refrigerator  so she can use it later. She told me to just put everything because it might not be good for later and I did. That is one of the most important thing I learned from my mother on how to deal with in-laws--"listen and learn, do not argue, compliment and appreciate the things they do for you". And that is what I did. When the noodles were cooked she told me that I put a lot of shrimps and it should not be that way. I looked, smiled and explained that she instructed me to do it and I did. She kept on repeating again and again the issue about putting too much shrimp and I finally decided to approached her, gave her a pat  and told her:" Mama, just forgive me please, do not worry about the shrimp too much. I will buy you some more shrimp,  what is important: the food came out tasting good and that is what matters. right? She looked at me and smiled.

In situation like this, we tend to lose our patience and put the blame on others for what they did wrong which put us in a bad situation. In my case, I could not blame my mother-in-law for reasons that it is a part of our culture to just obey and another reason is fear- who is not afraid of your in-laws? Kidding aside, I did it to avoid conflict that may affect my relationship with my in-laws. I learned to apply the principles of NVC about taking responsibility for my actions. Although I have every reason to assert myself and blame her for the outcome of the food, I have to think and be careful not to say anything that will cause our good relationship to suffer. And besides I do not want to throw away years of good relationship just because of the "shrimp".

I guess, my culture has something to do with it and the way my family raised me. When I reflect on this experienced, I realized it is not really the shrimp that matters, it is my mother-in-law trying to test my patience and how I will deal with her. I am really glad that I did the way I did it because now I get to eat more delicious food prepared and cooked by my mother-in-law.

 You may have different reactions or you may say things to your in-laws if it happens to you right? What will you do or how are going to deal with an in-law like mine? Is there any other way or how does your culture deal or react with this kind of situation?


   Reference:
   The Center for Nonviolent Communication. (n.d.). The center for nonviolent communication. Retrieved from http://www.cnvc.org/
 
  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving us this wonderful story! I think we can all appreciate the position that you were in. You did not only help keep from having conflict over a few shrimp, you also helped someone you love to not feel bad or belittled. I think everyone can learn from your example rather they are dealing with in-laws, spouses, children, friends or anyone. Great example and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel, you handled that situation very well. I really do think that we have to do exactly what you did, just smile when the situation looks like it will get the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel,
    I wish you could give my husband in-law lessons! My mother and my husband can't seem to get along. My mother seems to refuse to accept him, no matter how hard he tries. She is upset because he does not work, however he is following doctor's orders. She does not like his hair, and can't tolerate the fact that he will smoke an occasional cigar. He has done her yard work, taken her on errands, and helped any way he can. He does not argue with her, but lately has been avoiding her. The stress is terrible! I think you are handling the situations with your mother in law very well!
    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabel, I think you handled the situation well. Even though she instructed you on how to prepare the meal, yet she still felt you did not prepare it as she instructed, you smiled and continue to do as she asked. You could have easily retaliated by saying things back. You respected her opinion, feelings and kept your composure and moved on. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete