ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, July 14, 2012


Week 3 Assignment 2 (EDUC-6165)

I am very fortunate to work and communicate with different group of people and culture every day but I find it interesting that even the people of the same culture as mine is communicating differently from each other. I came from an archipelago country which is comprised of 7,102 islands and each island or group of islands have their own dialect or language they speak. I believe we have 175 dialects or language in the Philippines but there is one language that we speak in common which is the Tagalog language. I have to explain to you the language part because even though we came from the same group or culture, sometimes we have different interpretation and understanding of the topic we are discussing. We also have differences in our belief, traditions and practices, some are the same and some are conflicting.  We will have a discussion afterwards, explain to each other about our understanding of the topic, and then we will laugh at each other. The other group will wonder what is going on then we will explain how we came from the same country of origin but we differ in some ways from each other. After we talk and explain it to other groups, we will have a discussion to make the issue clear, then we will explain to each other our point of view and we will start laughing at each other because we kid about our differences.    
Based on what I learned this week, I would like to listen and get to know the person more before responding or making any comment. I will apply the Platinum Rule: "Do to others as they themselves would like to be treated” ( Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). I have to start changing myself before others will change, removing all my expectations and scrutinizing my attitude towards others. I shall remove my hidden resentments and prejudices and be open to understanding other people’s culture so that I can communicate to others effectively.
Reference:
 Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon. Chapter 4, "Interpersonal Communication and Diversity: Adapting to Others" (pp. 85114).



3 comments:

  1. Anabel. that is so amazing that there are so many different languages that are spoken in your culture. I can't imagine how it would be for me to visit there and not understand any of it. I wonder if I were to come for a visit and talk to five different people with five different dialects, would they all interpret what I say the same. From reading your post I believe that I would get five different interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,

    It amazes me the different cultures within a culture, and how even when you say something, it can mean something different within the same country.

    I agree with you that you must start changing yourself first. It took me a long time to realize this, and once I did, life was much better! Great post!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel,

    You are correct that we must start to change how we view the world and do a lot of self-reflecting. Only then are we able to really see people as valued individuals.

    Thanks for Sharing
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete