ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, May 19, 2012

Perspective on Diversity and Culture


When I talked to the Director of my center regarding her culture she defined it as foundation her living. It reflects the way she lives and how she is greatly influenced by it. She explained to me why she is the way she is. She said that she is 100% Japanese but she grew up here in Hawaii. She explained to me that her family still practices the traditional Japanese culture but there are some things that her generation have lost or has discontinued. An example of this is the way Japanese women should serve and be submissive to their husband. She told me, if I know the way she is, that is not going happen. The reason for this is her belief that we are equally as important as men and for this reason after nine years of living together, it caused her marriage to end.
As she grew older she said that she is also greatly influenced by the American culture, she started questioning some of her belief and traditions. In spite of her skepticism, she obeyed her parents desire to marry the same race as hers but after a time, she can no longer accept having collision with culture of her husband. They both grew up in the same culture but their beliefs as an individual person were different from each other. Though she told me that she lost some of her culture but do not regret it because that is what makes her who she is today. She also said that the most important thing is not forgetting were you come from and always go back to your roots because her decisions still lies on the foundation of her culture.  She believed that losing some of her culture was lost but also gained some benefit of acquiring other cultures especially the culture of America.  She continues to carry on her culture to her children, and let the environment and time takes course in the future. She believes that they will still keep the identity of being Japanese and at the same time embraced the culture that they are living in.
Based on my interview with friends, family members or relatives, most of them defined culture as the way we were raised based on our religion, ethnic groups our family traditions and behavior and beliefs. One of them mentioned that even if we were raised in one family or one ethnic group, she said that even if we were raised or brought up in the same group or family it does not necessarily means that we have the same perception of culture. She mentioned that outside factors outside of our homes influenced us also in the way we live our lives. Our culture defines who we are and how we live. Our lifetime unique experiences make us differ from each other.  Most of us tried to carry on the traditions and beliefs we have learned from our grandparents and our parents but factors outside of our family but some change such as;  in the economy and our environment affects the way we live, the way we were educated in school, and the way we perceived things changes our culture.
 Diversity is about difference but acceptance and embracing each other’s differences is what makes our lives interesting.
This week lessons have given a better understanding of how people live the way they live. It also gave me a better perspective and better relationship with the people I worked with. Interviewing my Director made me understand how she is and in return I was able expressed how I am and how both cultures influences us in the things we do. I am really glad that I have the opportunity to do it because I did not only have better relationship with her but both of us have learned to understand the our culture palys an important role in our lives and we get to see the deeper side of us.

 Our way of life was greatly influenced by our family but as we grow older and the more we were exposed to different environment and different people, our culture changes. Some are preserved and some we lose.  
.


4 comments:

  1. I have learned from you that is is a proven fact that if one is taken out of his own culture and plkaced in a culture that is different tham his own, then he will loose his culture and conform to the new culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, diversity is about differences and we must respect the differences of others in a non judgmental way.
    And I agree that this assignment has opened my eyes and pushed me to be more open minded to the differences of others and to try and learn from those around me.

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anabel,

      It is interesting to see the different views of our friends, family and colleagues. It is very important that we as educators try to help our students and families preserve as much of their culture as possible without making them conform to our own ideals. I definitely enjoyed gathering information from others to see different perspectives about culture and diversity.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anabel, we as people are influenced and live our lives according to our heritage, tradition, family lifestyle and the environment in which we have lived and still living today. I believe we live what we observe. Diversity is the meaning of being different but sharing and connecting with other groups around us.

    ReplyDelete