ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, February 2, 2013

WEEK 4: Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level



Children's Defense Funds, Commander, Naval Installation Command(CNIC) particularly The Fleet and Family Readiness and National Military Organization were the three organizations or community of practice that appealed to me. I chose these organization because they advocate for the rights of the families especially the rights of children.
The Children's Defense Funds which expresses deep concern about the number of children growing in poverty, poor health, housing, poor education and family and community disintegration. I would like to be a part of the committee that works directly with families and children, probably a liaison, program field coordinator or become a child advocate lobbying for children's rights. Promote legislation related to child care, quality care and education for every child, inclusion program for children with special abilities, housing and health care and employment opportunities for families stricken by poverty.
I also chose CNIC particularly the Fleet and Family readiness because this community of practice is directly involve with military families. They support both active and inactive military soldiers, single or dual military, retired, veterans providing education, training programs, readiness programs, housing, child care, recreational programs and counseling. I would like to become a Military Family Life Consultant (MFLC). The MFLC program augments existing military support programs by providing short-term, problem-solving, non-medical counseling to service members and their families(MHN Government Services, 2012). Specially trained on military-specific topics, MFLCs provide education and information on a variety of issues that warriors and their families may face throughout the deployment cycle (http://www.realwarriors.net). I would like to be a counselor, helping families and children develop an action plan addressing their problems or behaviors on issues that occurs within the family lifestyle. These includes: common stress reactions to deployment, relocation, separation, loss or grief, resiliency and other emotional or behavioral concerns which are common to military families and children to experience.
In the previous blogs we have, I mentioned about  serving military families whether it is a paying or non-paying job. I would like to be a volunteer at the National Family Organization which supports military families and children by providing support system, scholarship grants to military spouse, counseling, recreational program such as the Operation Purple and sending troops support letters and food and items from home to show our appreciation for all the sacrifices they do in order to enjoy the freedom we have at home.  
These jobs mostly require an experience working with families and children, a background in social work or psychology. Working in a military facilities or program a veteran or military spouse preference is always the priority and if you are already within the organization. You should also have a Master's degree or Doctorate degree in the field of Psychology, Social Work , Early Childhood Education or any related field that deals with human relations. Volunteer work for National Military Family is open to anyone who is willing to support or give donations and time for the organization. Some of the jobs do not specify the background clearance but I believe that jobs or employment working with families and children should be required whether it is a paying or non-paying job for the safety and security of families and children.
Reference:
http://www.militaryfamily.org/our-programs/
(http://www.realwarriors.net).



2 comments:

  1. Anabel,
    It is wonderful that you want to volunteer to assist the families of our troops. Military families experience much heartache and endure life situations civilian families aren't aware of that it is heartwarming to know there are viable programs with qualified people to provide assistance when needed. The Children’s Defense Fund sounds like a great resource and I plan to research further about the valuable work it accomplishes.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,
    I have had experiences with Military Family Life Consultants with my own children during one of the earlier deployments of my husband's. The work that the MFLC's do with young children during deployments is extremely important and makes a big difference. If you are truly interested in being a MFLC, I encourage you to do so. As someone who has seen her child benefit from it, I can tell you first hand, you will make a big difference in the lives of not only military child but the entire family as well! Good luck to you Anabel!

    ReplyDelete