ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, January 19, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

The three local or state organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me were the Hawaii Association for the Education of Young Children (HAEYC) , National Family Association and the Commander , Navy Installations Command . I chose  HAEYC which is an affiliate of the National Association for the Education of Young Children because they shared the same vision of making sure that quality education and care is accessible and affordable to all families and children especially those who cannot afford it. I would like to be a part of a committee which creates policy for families and children making sure they get the funds for quality life and education programs. Another community of support I would like to join or be involved is the National Military Family Association. I would like to be a part of their Operation Purple Program which aims to empower military families and children to develop and maintain healthy connection and relationships (http://www.militaryfamily.org). We all know that military families make great sacrifices of being away from each other because of deployments and this is one way we can support them. This program also serves the children and families of wounded soldiers. By sharing my experiences hopefully will make them feel they are not alone on this journey. Lastly, I have chosen the Commander, Navy Installation   Command or CNIC because of their Family and Fleet Readiness Program.) They are  responsible for policy development, resourcing and oversight of quality of life programs for Sailors and their families. FFR enables a ready Navy force through programs such as Family Readiness, Fleet Readiness and Housing programs. I would like to be a part of the Family Readiness division which provides programs and services to family and fleet such as relocation assistance, information and referral, financial management counseling, spouse employment services, family advocacy and the transition assistance program (http://cnic.navy.mil). Child and Youth Programs including child development homes and centers as well as school age centers were also a part of this program.
Any job opportunities that will cater to families and children always interests me because I would like to help out and make transitioning easier of families and children. Whether it is  employment or volunteer work, it always inspires me because I know how it is to be in their shoes. I had the support I need when I was a military and spouse and now that my husband is retired, I would like to give back the support I got- making sure they get the help and support they need.
To have the first priority in hiring is always being a military spouse and already working within the organization. The minimum requirement to work as a Child development provider is a high school graduate, with CDA, Associate degree or Bachelor's degree, experienced working with children and most especially having a cleared background clearance. Sometimes the experience can make up for the education or the other way around. The good thing about having a higher education is the ability for professional growth. I can apply for Program Director, Asst. Director, Trainer or Coordinator whichever I prefer but for me the most important qualification is being able to reach out and communicate well with the families and children.  As what I have mentioned, it does not matter to me whether it a paying job or a volunteer work, I will accept an offer just to give back to the community of practice who has given me and my family the support we need when we were deployed.
Reference:
http://cnic.navy.mil/CNIC_HQ_Site/WhatWeDo/FleetandFamilyReadiness/index.htm
http://hawaiikeiki.org/public-policy/critical-issues/
http://www.militaryfamily.org/our-programs/operation-purple/

6 comments:

  1. Anabel,
    I admire you for working with military families. I also live in a community of many military families, with two nephews being part of that group. Military families do make a great sacrifice for our country and I am concerned that are not appreciated as they could be.
    Thank you for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,

    I admire your work with Military families. I am a CDA Council Representative and I often have verification visits at Fort Hood in Killeen. I am amazed at the wonderful support that the families and early childhood teachers receive. The families need more support than ever and I applaud your work with these families.

    Thank you
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anabel, as always it was a pleasure reading your blog. It would be great to work with families that are in the military; for most of the children are transitioned most of their childhood, so providing them with the best childhood education would be meaningful. Also I'm going to look up the HAEYC, interested in knowing what their organization is about. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Anabel, thank you for providing such interesting information. You are an excellent example of a valued member of the military family. Thank you for your dedication to the early childhood field. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anabel,
    I appreciate the sites that you posted. I used to belong to HAEYC when I was living in Hawaii. It is a great organization! The Military Family is another great site and I would also love to get involved in the Operation Purple program. I think that there are great supports out there for military families, however, I wish there were more for our young children who go through so much during deployments, redeployments, and all the other transitions of military life. As a military wife and mother, I see the struggles our children go through and I commend you for your dedication to military families! Thank you for an insightful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have nicely researched and identified some organizations that should be very valuable to you. You should be able to identify key individual-types to utilize in your Community of Practice.

    ReplyDelete