ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, October 27, 2012

What I Have Learned


This course has taught us a lot about the importance of promoting anti-bias education and diversity  and equity in the classroom. This is an ideal place for children to learn about themselves and others, learn to have value within themselves  and  learn to respect others  but none is more important than learning it from the primary source of information which is their own family. Family is the prime source of information about cultural diversity.   As an educator I would like to help families encourage their children to recognize that there are differences among people and these differences do not make them superior or inferior to others. I hope that our families will continue to teach their children to be proud  of who they are and the culture where they come from  as well as learn to accept and respect other cultures as well

To my colleagues, it is my sincere wish that after we finish this course that we continue to work for the benefit of our children and families towards an equitable and diverse classroom environment . Although we came from different families and cultures- we became one in our goal and our advocacy.  It is sad to end this journey with all of you but I know that there is more journey ahead of us that we need to face.   

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for all your  wonderful comments on our assignments, discussion board and blogs. You made our journey easier, fun and very interesting.  Again, Maraming Salamat Po Sa Inyong Lahat (Thank you very much to all of you)!

2 comments:

  1. Anabel,
    We have learned a lot that we will be able to carry with us on our journey of educating children and families. This course has taught us a great deal about diversity and working with others, especially children. As you continue on your journey may you find strength and joy in the assurance that you are a wonderful asset to the families that you are working with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel.

    It has been a pleasure working with you and I look forward to working with you in the future. Who knows as we continue our early childhood journey, I hope and pray that we will always stand up against the injustices that plagued our children and families.

    ReplyDelete