ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, October 20, 2012

Start Seeing Diversity - Abstract Drawing entitled " Ang Buhay sa Mundo" (Our Life on Earth)


Anabel M. Hermosura

I would like to share with you the abstract drawing I made using sharpie and colored pencils. This drawing represents different family structures and racial groups in our society. I used variety of colors to show how colorful and interesting our life here on earth. The colors gray, black and blue around the house represents the challenges and obstacles that affects our family, while the bright colors represents the happiness and joy in our lives.  I also drew some material possessions which may benefit as well as cause problems within the family.
I drew the house using continuous line ending on the door knob signifying that life is affected by the environment and the people around us, whatever happened inside the house can have a significant effect in the society as well. The patches on the wall of the house as well as the tire on top of the roof, the spider and different cracks on the roof represents how families work so hard to make ends meet and how they resolve problems within the family.
The house were surrounded by different groups of people which I colored differently from each other representing different family structure such as blended families, families with special abilities, multiracial and single and the traditional family. The people are connected to each other to show there is unity in diversity. I colored the background from dark to light color showing how other ethnic groups are being discriminated or excluded because of the color of their skin and how other groups were born with hidden privilege. I also drew the sun on the roof as well as the rainbow representing good life and hope for people who believe and work hard to reach their goal.
The other drawings outside of the rainbow represents the nature that provide us with resources which allow us to live on this earth. The mountain, the tree and the flowers represents our food as well as the fish in the sea, the falls on the left which gives us water to drink and the skies and the birds which represents the air we breathe and the leisure or fun things we do in our lives. On the bottom left of the drawing represents the importance of education in our lives. The middle part of the drawing represents the bad choices we make, polluting the sea with trash- this is what sometimes we do with their lives. I also put the spool of thread and the needle, pair of scissors and the glue representing how each of us try to patch our lives to have a better future. No matter what kind of material we use or how we do things to fix things do not matter, for as long as we work together and treat each other with respect- that is what matters.  I included the cross in the bottom of the sea which represents our faith. It is hidden within us and to my culture - the basis of our existence.
I was inspired to do this abstract drawing because this course has given an importance to those people like me - showing how America is working so hard to promote diversity and equity around the world. This course may be a little step towards changing the world's perception on other culture and group of people but if you put the collaborative effort of all the people concerned will make a big leap - reaching the minority as well as the privilege ones.

4 comments:

  1. Anabel, your art work is simply amazing. You are very talented. I enjoyed reading your blog and how you illustrated the diversity in your art. Working together and treating each other with respect is what really matters; very profound...GREAT WORK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,
    What an amazing job you did! I enjoyed reading about and seeing the details in your artwork. You are definitely right on target when you said that the difference we need to make is a collaborative effort! Although one can make a difference, a village can make amazing changes in the lives of our most precious gifts...our children! Awesome Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anabel, you did an outstanding job on this creation, wow!!! I really enjoyed reading your beautiful words and a outline of your work. Art can create a atmosphere of comfort, respect and connecting and you really did it on this one. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabel,

    Hats off to you for such a beautiful drawing. Immediately upon laying eyes on your artwork, I can easily see the diversity and unity. I love how you informed us about the representations that are highlighted in your drawing. Keep us the great work. You should consider submitting your drawing to a child magazine along with your written interpretation.

    ReplyDelete