ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, September 24, 2011

Getting to Know My International Contacts

Aloha to all my colleagues!

During the first week of our course, I mentioned about getting in touch with my friends and school mate in college in the Philippines. I was very fortunate to have found them in facebook and accidentally, through my friend who visited me here in Hawaii last month (after so many years we did not see each other). Both of them teaches preschoolers in a private school in the Philippines but one of them started doing home school because her son was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder so she decided to stop working and care for her son. They were very helpful in gathering information about the issues and trend in early childhood education in the Philippines.

During the first week that I exchanged messages with them, I do not have any idea what to ask or what information I need to gather from them. I wrote messages to them using our own language and they were surprise to hear it from me. I used Tagalog (language from the Philippines) to ask questions with the impression that they are more comfortable to answer. They told me that they prefer to give updates and information about early childhood using the English language. In response I told them that I am very glad because they will make my work easier by translating it for me.

I asked them about the government and private sectors programs for early childhood education in the Philippines . I would like to share with you the information I gathered from them. They said that the Philippine government has started implementing the universal kindergarten program in public schools this school year. The purpose of this program  is to improve the quality of education for young children which will help them in the future. They also believed that education is the key to solve the problems of poverty in the country. Kindergarten programs have become a prerequisite before entering elementary education. They said that this program is facing big problems due to lack of classrooms and lack of teachers. This has been an existing problem in the education system before this program has been implemented. Now, the people are asking the Philippine Government if they are ready for the implementation of this Universal Kindergarten Programs. In spite of these concerns; the government has imposed this program on its people. 


Another update on the education system is the proposal of an additional two-year program in elementary which is equivalent to middle school in the U.S. The proposal was created to meet the standards or requirements of the U.S. and other countries in the field of education. They expect to implement this program by the year 2014.

These proposals aim to improve the quality of education in the Philippine. It aims to improve the quality of life of the people, be known to the world and compete in the global market. On the other hand, families are facing difficult situation especially those who are already living under poverty level. They can no longer afford to send their children to school for another two years.  The implications of this proposal will affect the number of children finishing elementary, high school and college. It will probably benefit the 1/3 population who can afford it and the 2/3 of population (who are in poverty situation) fate are not yet determined.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,
    It is hard to understand how the Philippine Government can mandate children to attend kindergarten if they do not have the infrastructure to support the educational services. I do understand the value in setting a solid educational foundation as our desire is for all children is to reap educational dividends throughout their academic career.
    If 2/3 of the population cannot afford a quality education, the chances of this new educational structure having a major impact on addressing the poverty issues in the Philippines may be fruitless.
    Thank you for sharing your conversation with your fellow early childhood professionals across our nation's borders. The power of the social networks continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is great that they are mandating kindergarten yet sad that they are having such trouble finding classrooms and teachers. I teach kindergarten and it is by far my heart. I love the age of the children I work with! It excites me to see that more are seeing the value in kindergarten. I do agree that education can help stop poverty! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I never dreamed that other countries did not have Kindergarten programs! How naive I am! I thought that Kindergarten was a natural beginning to a child's education. At any rate, I am pleased that Kindergarten will be brought to the Phillippines. However, it is disheartening that there is a shortage of teachers and classrooms. Equally disappointing is that educational opportunities are limited to those who can afford them. It is a vicious cycle in that education is a measure to end poverty, but those in poverty cannot afford to be educated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anabel,
    Im so glad to hear that kindergarten is now a part of the building regimen for young childrem in the Philippines. I am prayerful that they will speedily find the resources needed to accommodate such a task. Teachers and classrooms are the most valuable resources of any country or community--government should treat them as such :)

    Great post!
    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete