ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, September 10, 2011

Establishing Professional Contact
Last month, I have a friend who connects with me again after 20 years we separated in college. She decided to visit me here in Hawaii before going to California. We talked about how our lives and priorities have changed over time and during our conversation, she mentions about a friend who turned out to be a teacher at a preschool in the Philippines. I asked my help to get her e-mail address, telephone number or get in touch with me through facebook. I started by leaving messages in her facebook account and she replied back, asking me what she can do to help out. She also gave her telephone number and e- mail account so we can exchange information her, information and ideas to each other. While navigating through the site, I came across another friend who is now an assistant professor in the university where I graduated. I wrote him a letter to help me find someone from the college of education who can assist and help me gather information the early childhood education.
I chose to establish contacts in the Philippines to connect again to my old friends in college and to learn more about the challenges, issues and trends in their early childhood education in today’s time and economy.  I am very fortunate to see my friends again, though everything seems by accident, I believe all of us will benefit learning from them.
The early childhood organization I chose is the Early Childhood Council New Zealand (EEC). I have read some interesting articles from their site regarding some of the challenges facing their early childhood programs. Some of it is the effect of the economy, government laws and some changes in the policies or programs in the early childhood field. They have lots of interesting articles on their site especially the promotion and inclusion of different culture or ethnic language in their program. Some articles can only be accessed by members of the council or organization only. I send e-mail to their organization requesting to allow me to be a member though I am neither a resident nor a part of any organization or institution on Early Childhood. I am waiting for their response and hopefully, I will have access to their site and I will keep you posted in the coming weeks of our courses. 



Early Childhood Council New Zealand (EEC)http://www.ecc.org.nz/MainMenu 
(Review also media resources at: http://www.ecc.org.nz/Category?Action=View&Category_id=159)
International Child Resource Institute

7 comments:

  1. While Anabel,

    You have alot more opportunities to communicate with the outside world than I do. I always enjoy following your blog. Good luck with your contacts in the Philippines and contacting old friends. I will follow to see your results. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very exciting about making contacts where you went to college. In away it will not only keep you updated on the changes occurring but also reconnect you to a part of your past. I hope you were able to hear back from both contacts!
    Have a wonderful day
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great that you can connect with friends of friends and people from your past! I do not have any contacts outside of the US. I look forward to learning from you about early childhood education in the Philippines. Good luck!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabel,
    You always have such interesting posts on your blog! I have followed your blog from the Foundations class and always enjoy the information and sentiments that you convey. It's great that you are able to connect with your old friends on a professional level. I think that you many find that you derive more information and greater meaning from this assignment as a result of your personal connection with your early childhood colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anabel,
    Thank you for a fantastic post! It looks like your spirit shines through in your blog, and creates a feeling of beauty. Thank you for your post, I look forward to hearing about your success in learning about the Philippines. I love that you post pictures, please continue to do that as I am a truly visual learner! :) THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anabel,

    Thank you for your Awesome post!! I am so excited that you are able to contact your friends to help you with this course. That was a great idea to contact your friends through facebook. I think that's the quickest way to contact anyone because they can get their notification on thier phones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anabel,

    Great seeing you in class once again!! I can't wait to hear about your connections in the Phillipines. You always bring a global perspective to the course which enhances the learning experience. I hope that you and your husband are doing well. I wish you the best this semester. Take care.

    ReplyDelete