ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, May 14, 2011

Recycling food from the garbage and fast food restaurant 
“Pagpag”- ( Tagalog word for dust-off)
I would like to share videos about people who makes a living from gathering Styrofoam containers and boxes, plastic fork, spoons, cups and left over food to sell and recycled. They collect the plastic trash bags from fast food restaurant every night or early in the morning. They separate the food inside the container and sell it for P 50 ($1) a box to street restaurant (“mini carinderia”), they will wash it with hot or boiling water and then re-cook it. The vendor then sells it for P10 ( 20 cents) per plate/ serving. They call this “pagpag”” which means to dust –off. This video will make you say “unbelievable” and “unreal” but it is really happening. I myself could not believe that this is real; this is the place where I grew up. The poverty has spread around the country and has affected about 2/3 of the population.  I am posting it in my blog because I want to show how poverty can affect the nutrition and health of the people around the world especially the children. Upon watching this, hopefully we will change the way we live and understand the various context that contribute or impede children’s health and nutrition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGsWKzRrdI&feature=related
This topic is meaningful to me because I would like to fully understand child development and the multicontextual influences that shape children’s future. Evidence of multicontextual development has been shown in this weekly readings and the video that I showed you. Children’s public health, mental health and emotional health are highly affected and influenced by the country’s economy such as laws, cultural norms and also religion. Population control is not promoted but instead focusing on responsible parenthood. The population has exploded thus jeopardizing the nutrition and health of the child, the communities and society as well. Lack of education is another context that impacts child development.
In today’s economy, it will be very challenging to provide the basic needs of children. There are lots of people losing their jobs; their homes and livelihood whether it is caused by natural disaster or economic meltdown losing your source of income have a lasting effect on growth and development. Economy and family has a major impact on child development.   When children are exposed to a poor living condition their health, their growth and development are being affected. When children go to school with an empty stomach, they lose focus or their ability to   think and participate in day to day activities. Without proper nutrition they tend to get sick, they can hurt themselves easily, irritable and their behavior is affected too. Some children are and emotional problem will occur later in life.
In spite of hardship and poverty, I would like you to see how an economy impacts the development and growth of children. How two or other cultures differ from each other. What makes us grow closer and keep our family together in spite of the challenges in our economy and our environment? What makes us enjoy and live life to the fullest? What drives everyone to do this kind of life or living? Please let me know on how this video change the way you see the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment