ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Personal Birthing Experience

I remember my first pregnancy in 1997; it was a difficult year for me because that is the year when I left my family in the Philippines to be with my spouse here in Hawaii. It is also the time that my mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer (Stage 4). My first trimester was really difficult because I have ‘morning sickness’ the whole day. I am throwing up the whole day and very picky about the kind food I am going to eat. I was very sensitive and emotional about everything. I was crying the whole time too thinking about my mother’s condition. To stay closer to my family, I call them overseas call every night. My husband was so worried about my situation and after 7 months of my stay, he wrote his command to sponsor us to come home to the Philippines – the main reason for our approval is my dying mom. I surprised my mom and told her, it was my birthday gift from my husband to be with her. I was 4 months pregnant then and continued my prenatal check-up over there. I spent my whole second trimester caring for my mother until she died in August. I went back to Hawaii during the start of my last trimester and had my first born here. I had a difficult labor and my doctor offered me a choice to have an epidural. The pain was bearable after the epidural but it affected my ‘pushing’ of the baby. After seeing my baby, I have forgotten all the pain and all the hardship in my pregnancy. I named my baby after my mother to honor and remember her legacy.
I was reflecting the other night while trying to put my blog assignment together and realized how my culture played an important part in my life. In our culture, we stay close and always connected with our family. Even though we have our own family, we are committed to care for our parents when they grew older or get sick. Actually even our neighbors offer help without asking anything in return. We call it ‘bayanihan’(helping hand) and ‘pasasalamat’ (appreciation).  It is our way of thanking them for taking care of us and it is our turn now to return the favor. I chose this experience because I want to show and share how culture differs from the other. It may be hard to understand why we do this things but that is how it should be and how we were brought up.  This is how my parents were with their parents, how we are with them and probably how our children will become in the future.
I would like to share with you a video of the different birthing experiences in the Philippines. You will see  great difference on how the birthing process in the Philippines compared to the US and  you will be amazed and be inspired at the same time .  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cur-aPdeQ&NR=1 I will not be able to translate everything in it but I will try to explain briefly how the economy plays a major role in finding alternative means to give birth. The first clip shows how the couple preferred the lying in clinic because the rates or charges are fixed and they believed that she is safe to give birth over there. Lying-in Clinic is a place wherein a woman stay in the clinic the day she is about to give birth. A doctor or a midwife can attend to the delivery. They spent about 5K to 7K pesos ($100-$350) for this kind of services. This couple earned a minimum wage of 350.00 pesos per day; they saved 500.00 pesos per pay day ($100.00) for 6 months to prepare for this day.
 Public hospitals charges 7K to 10K (($150 - $210) normal delivery  and 40K ($830) for C section while Private Hospitals charges 20K to 100K excluding the professional doctor’s fee and about 30k to 100k for C Section.
Others preferred the ‘ hilot’ (massage) or the traditional or natural birth done at home. The delivery is done by a public health worker which was trained by the Department of Health. They are authorized under Republic Act 7833 known as the  Barangay Health Care workers benefit and Incentives of 1995 which refers to ‘barangay health workers’ refers to a person who has undergone training programs under any accredited government and non- government organization  and who voluntarily renders primarily health care services in the community. Nana Fely renders her services for 1k pesos ($ 21.00). Sometimes people cannot pay her and it is ok at least was able them out help out. She has 52 years of experience; she attended the training conducted by the Department of Health (DOH) in 1972 on how to help deliver babies. The DOH acknowledges their presence due to lack of professionals who can perform the job. Emily prefers to do it at home because she does not have any money to pay for the hospital. She wants to do it at her home because everything she needs is accessible. Though there are modern practices and other alternative for birthing, there are lots of people who still prefer to do the traditional or old ways.  
I have learned that poverty has been the main reason in almost all the decision making of the people in the videos. I was thinking, if they have the resources, do you think they will still be choosing this kind of birthing?  The difference between my birthing experiences here in the US compared to where I grew up (Philippines) was the health systems and economy. Some countries in Asia particularly in the Philippine, pregnant women cannot afford to do regular prenatal check-ups and eat the food or drink the medicines or vitamins needed for their pregnancy. Only a small percentage can afford it. There are no WIC programs or Head Start program to support the women, infant in children.
The birthing experience in the developed countries maybe modern and advance compared to the developing countries but whatever practice they do, both cultures tried to learn and adopt each other’s practices.
To my fellow ECE bloggers please visit you tube and watch the video entitled ‘panganganak’ and tell me what you think about it and what you have learned about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cur-aPdeQ&NR=1

2 comments:

  1. Anabel,

    I think you have an amazing birthing experience story, through all the troubles and unfortunate events that happened during your pregnancy, you seemed to hold strong and continue doing what you knew was right for your family. I think it is wonderful that we were able to go back and spend that time with your mom and take care of her. I am very sorry to here of your loss, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 1 1/ 2 years ago, our family has been so thankful that they were able to do surgery and remove the cells and tissue, she then went through 6months of radiation. She has been cancer free for 1 year now, its a blessing! When I hear stories of others that have been affected by cancer, it brings tears to my eyes. It is a hard thing to face, I know personally how much it affected my mom and our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,
    I enjoyed watching the video on the different birthing experiences in the Philippines. I noted they all layed down while giving birth. Do they do the squating technique? Its amazing the differences in quality as far as the facilities go, but when you have a midwife who has been doing it for 52 years, its hard to find that kind of experience.
    Thank you for sharing your family story. My dad was sick with cancer, and he stayed home and all of us took turns taking care of him. You are right, somethings we are taught in our culture is passed down. My mom took care of her dying mother, and we took care of our dying parents. we teach our children these important family values, and hope they will pass them on to their children.

    ReplyDelete