ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Child Who Touched My Heart

 I was a Child Development Home Provider and was one of the lucky homes who were accredited by Head Start. They gave me a case of a child whose parents were very young and separated due to drug problem. The child has 2 siblings and they are all under the care of her father and grandmother. She is  in and out of the rehabilitation center. Her mom’s case is really complicated.
This little girl is very quiet and wants to be alone all the time. She sits by herself and just cries and cries. She looks for her mom all the time. She will push me away and will tell me to leave her alone. Whether we are indoors or outdoors, she will go far away and sit in one corner or place.
I talked and work with her grandmother and her father all the time and offer my help by inviting her and her siblings to stay in my house on a weekend to play with my children. I bring them with me when we go around the island and visit places like the aquarium, zoo etc. and on week days she goes back to my house. I did a lot of activities that encourages participation, creativity and promoting self esteem such as dancing hula, singing, painting and group plays.
When she left for Kindergarten, she was totally a different person. She is a very happy child, made a lot of friends and she does well in class. When I saw her again she told me: “ Ms. Anabel can I go back to your school again, because I had so much fun there”.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anabel,

    I found being an inhome childcare provider a very rewarding experience. It it is always in encouraging to hear story of how we as educators influence the lives of the children we touch each day. I'm glad this child was able to come out of sadness and find someone like you that she could trust.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anabel,
    We both grew up in large families. It is so obvious that your relationship with your siblings is tight. My mum sometimes gets envious of the relationship between us ( my brothers and sisters). Your mum treating you guys as an individual not comparing you guys is really commendable. I am glad you are passing on the same values to your children.

    ReplyDelete