ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, March 2, 2013

Time Well Spent

It has been an amazing journey taking this course because I have learned to trust myself, be open to others,  stay focus on my goal  and work hard that I can achieve anything.  I still could not believe how I survived this course.  I started this course just daring myself if I can pass the admission part of the process and I did. Then I said to myself, alright let me try if I can survive one course, then the next and then the next and as we go on it became interesting because it is not about me anymore. Each course has drawn me to think deeper and  be committed to make a difference in each child, each family and it grew into our commitment to the whole society and the whole world as well. I never thought that this course will transform me into a different person.

I grew up believing and accepting that I will never ever take any higher education because I know that my passion and commitment is not enough to get me through academic excellence- you need to be smart / intelligent  to have a Master's Degree  or any degree and I prove myself wrong. I have learned that  hard work pays off, trusting and believing in your own self is very important and with the support of community of practice such as in this case- my colleagues and instructor made everything  and anything achievable. I would say that my family played a very important part too because without their understanding and sacrifices- all else will fall.

We started this course making a wordle and I would like to end this course with another wordle that I created . All the words I put in there represents the feelings and lessons learned from this course. I made it all in the present tense because I would like others in our field to always look what is needed to be done now and to continue to look forward to improving the field of early childhood education.  

 
This has been a life changing experience for me because I never thought I will survive this course. I thought that being of different culture will be a disadvantage for me but I have found strength in being different because you have respected my point of views and I really appreciate you all for accepting me for what I am.  I am also thankful for your comments whether you agree or disagree with my opinion, I just happy knowing that you understand my postings (did you?) even with limited English word on hand for me (hehehe but seriously,  it is not easy being a second English language learner).  I still could not believe it....I MADE IT, WE MADE IT! Without your help and your encouragement through our discussion board and blog assignments, I would not be able to survive this course. I am really grateful to all of you and to our instructor- Dr, Teri, who is a great motivator, and supporter. Thank you for your patience and your guidance. You led us in every step of the way until the end of the Capstone project. You challenge us but also inspired us to believe in ourselves and because of that I am really thankful for you.

 It is true, we are done with our Capstone Project, we will receive our transcript and diploma, everything we accomplished will now be on papers. It is very important that we think now, what  are we going to do next. It is my strong hope that we not forget what we learned and apply it in our work and in our life. I have found Maya Angelou's quote which is nice to remember and also applicable to our advocacy cause.

"It is Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning". Maya Angelou .    

Now that we are equipped with tools we need to serve our children and families better, it is about time to put into practice what we learned and make a difference in the society and the whole world. It is truly a time well spent with all of you. Wishing you all the best and I am hoping that we will cross our path one day. Maraming Salamat Po (Thank you very much) and ALOHA TO ALL MY ECE OHANA ( (Thank you to my ECE family)!

You may keep in touch with me through my e-mail address: anabel.hermosura@navy.mil and my phone number is 808-203-0777/ 808-472-0294.

2 comments:

  1. Anabel,
    You have been so inspirational to me! Thank you for your great viewpoints and support. You are able to express your intelligence in such a practical form that you enabled me to have a deeper understanding of the scope of our commitment to the early childhood field.
    Thank you!
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anabel, how is it that you were able to paste your wordle to your blog page and your discussion post?

    ReplyDelete