ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, November 17, 2012

Blog Assignment: Observing Communication



A grandmother was sitting at a restaurant with her grandchild waiting for their food. The child seems very happy and excited. Her grandmother was hugging and kissing her. The little girl looked at her grandma's face and pointed to her lips and then her hat. The grandmother asked her what does she wants. The little girl said she like the same as grandma. The grandmother  pointed to her lips and said : "like this", the child nodded. The grandmother looked inside her bag and took her lipstick out. The little girl's eyes got bigger and begun to clap her hands. Her grandmother applied the lipstick  on her and gave her a small mirror. She also took off her hat and gave it to her grandchild to wear. She asked her why she wanted it, The grandchild said wanted to be like her. The grandmother laughed and said that she was even prettier than her. The child said again: "just like you grandma. I look pretty". The grandma smiled and gave her a hug and kisses. Her grandmother took out her camera and took a picture of her. The child asked her grandma to wait and made a pretty pose. Her grandma asked her to seat properly and not to cover her knees. The child said I have to cover this (pointing at her scar), grandma laughed again and the child giggled. The child made a thumb up sign and grandmother smiled and took a picture of her.
I seldom see situation like this wherein an elder get along this close with young children especially in my culture. Usually children has to sit still and quietly on the table and wait until your grandma or grandpa talked to you. In this situation, I learned the importance of listening and looking at non-verbal cues from the people you are communicating with and because of this a positive relationship has been formed. The grandmother allowed her grandchild to have her lipstick and dug deeper into finding the reason why she wanted it and in return the child unknowingly complimented her grandmother by telling her how much she wanted to look like her. The child was able to express herself and appreciate her grandmother by showing how happy she was with her. At the same time the grandmother gave the child the opportunity to be who she wanted to be at that moment and be proud of her own self.  
I would say that the grandmother did a wonderful job in communicating with her grandchild. She listened and was very supportive of her. She opened herself to the idea of what her grandchild wanted to do instead of discouraging or ignoring her request.  As what Holbeck said :"children communicate, really , all different ways and use their bodies so much that if you're sensitive, you can really pick up cues about how to communicate. Just like her grandmother did.
This week lessons taught me how to look more deeper into what children has to say and what verbal and non-verbal cues they have to get to know them better. I will try to acknowledge what they have to say and not just listen for the sake of being listening but to understand the message and the reason behind the things they do. I will also put myself in their shoes and allow myself to be a kid again and have fun with them every day.
Reference:  
http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/Walden/EDUC/6358/03/downloads/WAL_EDUC6358_03_A_EN.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Anabel,
    What a great story about a grandmother and her granddaughter. These kinds of demonstration of love and understanding do not happen much any more, especially in public.
    Thank you for this story, it reminds me to be a more attentive grandmother and teacher.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel, I really enjoyed reading your blog as always. Positive interaction with children is always a plus, especially with communication. This lady made the child feel comfortable by playing with her; which allowed her to feel free. Create a safe, playing and listening environment for children (Laureate, Lisa Kolbeck, 2010). Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great observation. A year or so ago I would have not looked at this situation in the way you and I do now. I would have thought it was great and sweet, but I would not have realized the importance of this interaction and the relationship that was being formed. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anabel,

    I always love reading your blog. It is great how the grandmother listened to the granddaughter and didn't just automatically tell her no or to be quiet.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anabel,
    this was a great observation! The grandmother interacted with this little girl and made wonderful connections that this child will always remember. I am learning that it is the little things we do day to day that will help mold our children into the adults they will one day become.

    ReplyDelete