ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Final Blog Post for Current Issues and Trends in Early Childhood Course
First of all I would like to say SALAMAT PO! (Thank you), to all of you who have made this past few weeks very educational and interesting. It has been difficult for me to keep on this course because of lot stressors in my life. Being a Second Language English learner myself, has been difficult and challenging because I have to spend countless hours just to put my thoughts together. I almost gave up but (believe it or not) your first response to my first week’s blog and comments from our instructor has made it possible for me to finish this course. Your positive response had made a lot of difference. 
 I learned a lot from all of you and I hope I was able to give back what you have given me. I hope we will continue to support each other until we finish our journey towards earning our masters degree in early childhood education.
During the past weeks, I have learned that countries all over the world have the same issues and concerns about the field of early childhood. Concerns about the quality, compensation, and affordability of child care programs.  The lack of sufficient funding to support early childhood programs have put the provision of high-quality programs in jeopardy. Due to this issue also that only a small percentage of early childhood programs meet standards of excellence and that majority are mediocre or in less quality. Poor quality program has place children at risk in all areas of development. The issue of poor compensation to early childhood educators has led to high turn-over rate of teachers. This factor compromises the well-being of children who needs consistency and stability in their lives. The issue of affordability of child care, particularly for low income families, has kept many low-income mothers from workforce or from educational pursuits, making it more difficult for families to survive this current economy.  
Continuing awareness on the issue and current trend in early childhood education, not just in America but all over the world, will be my main goal in working towards finding solutions to the current concerns of early childhood field. Being equipped with knowledge and understanding of the issues affecting families and children, I will be able to support and continue to advocate for the increase funding on research programs -on the benefit of early childhood program and accessibility and affordability of early childhoo

4 comments:

  1. Anabel,

    Access, Quality, and Investment is the triology that will always remain as the key to successful early childhood care and education. Thank you for such insightful posts!

    My sincere prayers and regard to you for continued success in your EC endeavors.

    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabel,
    I agree it has been very educational to learn that countries around the world are facing some of the same struggles we are here in the United States in regards to the early childhood field. I have enjoyed learning alongside you this course! Grateful to know another person who is committed to the early childhood field. Keep up the good work
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, let me say that I am so glad you did not give up. Continue to spread awareness because it is needed for all families but especially for those new families that have come to America and may lack knowledge or resources that are available for them. Keep up the good work and you will do well. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promoting awareness of issues effecting young chidren and families is a worthy goal. If one is not equipped with information, one cannot act to resolve an issue. Please do not give up on this or any subsequent courses. I have enjoyed reading your blog and discussion posts since the Foundations course. Your positive outlook and kind words as well as your unique insights have added to my educational experience. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete