ALOHA TO MY OHANA

ALOHA TO MY OHANA

To my Fellow Early Childhood Bloggers,

Welcome to my blog site. Let me say: Aloha to my Ohana, which means "Welcome to my Family".

I am an Asian American who migrated in the US in 1997. I came from the Philippines and Filipino/ Tagalog is my first language. I migrated here in the US to start a family. I am now living here in Hawaii with my husband and three children. I am currently working as an Assistant Director at Ford Island Child Development Center in Pearl Harbor.

This is going to be an interesting journey for all of us and I am looking forward to blog with all of you.


Saturday, July 9, 2011

Relationship Reflection


Relationship Reflection
Relationships/ partnerships are important to me because this is what inspire and motivate me to become a better person. I learn every day from the people round me, and try to understand, respect and accept that people are different in their own ways. Relationship could have a positive or negative impact on somebody’s lives. I have developed lots of positive relationships in the past as well as relationship that did not last for a long time.  I believe in order to have a strong and positive relationship, one should be willing to respect each others differences and reconcile.
I have few people in my life that have been influential and has contributed to the person I am today. First is my husband. He has been very patient and understanding from the time he courted me until now that he is married to me. We never fight nor have any major argument ever since we got married in 1995. I believe the reason for this is our respect and love for each other. When he is mad or something is wrong, I just let him express his emotions and I listen. Dining table has become the center of our family’s meeting. We make sure that everybody sits and dine together. The whole family can talk anything or any topic for that day.  Second, is my best friend for so many years, although we do not see each other more often we still have the same connection and respect for each other. We grew up together. We inspire each other to become a better person, no problem or challenges that is hard to face when we were together. It seems like everything can be achieved. Although we are different in so many ways, our uniqueness has made us appreciate each other more. Third is my supervisor, I would say that this relationship is a bit odd because the first time I worked with her did not turn out well. We had big conflicts because of subordination issue. I was caught in a middle of the situation wherein our director instructed me to do something quick and she instructed me wait until she comes back from her vacation. When she came back, she was really upset and has not forgiven me until just recently. During our meeting she told me that I have proven myself by working so hard that I have gain her respect and has forgiven me for what I did. Our relationship has continued to be strengthened by her support and faith in me. She also gained my respect because she does not oppose or criticize my decisions but instead she shows great appreciation for my work.
Sometimes there will be misunderstandings and conflicts in relationship that will arise due to cultural differences and beliefs. It is very important that we gather information about a person, know their cultural background, and understand that in a relationship each one has to communicate and respect each other’s concerns and wishes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful relationships, I think it is great that you and your husband have found a great way to communicate and include all family members. It is important that the family has a common place where they can meet and discuss issues or problems they are having. I would agree with that sometime conflicts arise in relationships because of different beliefs or values, but it is important that we show respect to others and try to understand where they are coming from! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your realistic account of your relationships and their significance in your life. We all have our ups and downs. Strong relationships such as the majority of the ones that you describe, survive upheavals. I always enjoy your blog entries for your pragmatic and genuine, but never negative accounts of your life.

    ReplyDelete